Sunday, October 25, 2009

Who Should Leave The Tip?

Lets say you got invited to go out to dinner with the in-laws, or a good old friend that you have not seen in a real long time, or your parents take you out you out to dinner. Fast forward a little and the server asks how he or she should spit the bill? Since you were invited to go out for dinner, your in-laws, or you good old friend, or you parents tell the server that it should just be one bill and they will get the bill. Since someone else other than you is paying for dinner it is only fair that someone else that did not pay the dinner bill should leave the tip. I would rather leave the tip instead of having to pay for the whole dinner bill. Every time I invite someone to go out and have dinner and lunch for that matter, I always pick up the bill. Usually the other person says oh let me give you half, or something along that line. I reply with, no that’s okay I invited you so I will pay but you can leave the tip. This way I made it clear that they should leave the tip. I always hear other people say this, so I am not the only one that thinks like this. Servers that I have worked with have came up to me before not too happy telling me that their large table of 10 people didn’t leave anything for them. First of all server should never talk about their tips to anyone, but unfortunately they do ALL THE TIME! I then ask if it was all on one check or multiple checks? They usually tell me that it was just on one check. When this happens it is usually because the person who picked up the check expected that the other people would leave the tip, but it’s not always the case. So if your ever go out and someone pays for you meal, just ask them if they would like for you to leave the tip, since it would only be being the polite thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment