Monday, November 23, 2009

PAY UP OR ELSE!!!

I recently came across this article on MNS.com which I tried finding again to get the link so that you could read it for yourself but I was unable to find it. I have mentioned before that at some restaurants if you have a larger party they will automatically add a certain percentage for the gratuity, meaning that you have to choice but to leave your server at least a certain percentage according to what the total amount of your bill was. If I am not mistaken this happened in Pennsylvania. A couple at bar and restaurant refused to pay the mandatory tip that was put on the bill because they had a party of 8 people. The couple said they did not want and will not pay the mandatory gratuity because the service was very poor. The couple actually was arrested for not paying the gratuity. The manager offered to not charge for their meals but the couple still refused to pay the tip. This is another reason why I think restaurants should not automatically put include the tip on the bill because some people might not like the service but yet they are still forced to leave a tip. A server might have it in their mind that they are going to get a tip regardless of how well of service they provide. It was crazy that the establishment actually called the police because they did not want to pay the mandatory tip because the service was soo bad. That restaurant should be ashamed of themselves and I just personally think what they did is bad PR. Now I am sure there are two sides to the story but for some reason I really am on the couples side. If the service wasn’t that horrible I think they would have not gone to all that trouble and got arrested.

No comments:

Post a Comment